Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Sunnyside Bathroom on Apartment Therapy!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Thank you to Aaron Able at Apartment Therapy for publishing a bathroom renovation I completed for a client in Sunnyside, Queens! Check out the full post.

I had a wonderful client who, as is often the case, became a friend over the course of the project. She came to me initially because there was a serious mold problem in her bathroom caused by a perpetual leak from a neighbor's bathroom upstairs. We toyed with saving certain elements of the original bathroom, but ultimately, we decided a gut renovation would provide her with the new, bright, clean bathroom she wanted, and would dispel all remnants of mold and mildew lurking behind the tiles and under the tub.

As I mentioned in the Apartment Therapy blurb, we worked on a tight budget, but my client was flexible with things that were important to her; she loved the glass tiles and wanted a pocket door to open up the room a bit, so she splurged a little there, but the floor and penny tiles were extremely affordable, she kept her sink/vanity and we took advantage of my trade discount on all the finishes.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Comments from Apartment Therapy readers certainly run the gamut! Most think the bathroom is a wonderful improvement (thank you!) while a few are a little more...critical. Don't get me wrong, I'm open to constructive criticism, but comments like, "this really didn't need that ribbon of penny rounds" are entirely subjective and opinion-based. Of course, everyone has a right to express their voice, but at the end of the day, the final design was a result of the choices and compromises  between my client, the contractor and myself.

Some Apartment Therapy readers protested against ripping out the original tiles. As I wrote in my response to some of the comments, I highly value historic preservation, but it can be quite costly. In this case, the fact that the tiles were old/original did not make them better. Not only were they moldy, but they had seen better days. Additionally, the ceiling and walls were puckered from years of leaking from above, so in order to fully repair the damages, the walls had to be demolished. More importantly, my client wanted a new bathroom, and since it is her house, she has the right to change what she wants! She fell in love with the penny rounds and glass tiles, which made the whole design feel serene and clean. It is her opinion that matters most in this situation.

Here's what the tub area looked like before – does this look worth saving to you? It doesn't to me.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

The rest of the bathroom, before:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

My client's father, who visits from time to time, has a physical disability that makes small spaces difficult and uncomfortable for him to use. We increased the size of the bathroom slightly widening the door opening and by replacing the traditional swinging door with a pocket door. The addition of the larger door required demolition of one wall, further making the preservation of wall tiles moot.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

The quality of workmanship on the tile installation, specifically where the penny tiles changed direction at the corners, caused quite a bit of controversy among AT readers! As I wrote in my brief response, penny tiles are challenging when it comes to changing directions (in this case going from a horizontal border to a vertical one that wrapped around the shower while maintaining the same width for the band). By changing the band to a vertical application, we hit a roadblock at the corners, as they do not come together cleanly.

The offending photo:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

If you look closely at the photo below, perhaps it is clear that there is only one direction in which to install the mesh-backed tiles in order to achieve a clean, straight edge. It is even clear in the photo above that the natural tile angle is not at 45 degrees and the two edges just don't meet in the corner!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
I spent a couple of hours laying out the different options with the contractor and we came to what we considered to be the best solution. Perhaps there were others, but we decided to cut some of the tiles in order to avoid large areas of tile-free grout. As one of the AT commenters wrote, "nothing is perfect," and while we strive for it, budgets, time and all sorts of other constraints are contributing factors to the final result of a project.

At the end of the day, I was very pleased with the overall transformation, as was my client and her family. It was a successful project and I'm proud of it!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Click on images to see larger versions, or hop over to our website!

20 comments:

  1. Where did you get your floor tiles? Do you remember how much they cost? I would like to know if I can consider them for my bathroom. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome photography. I like the improvements that you did to the bathroom.
    makati condos

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you transformed the dirty and moldy bathroom. I especially love the color of the tiles.

    makati apartments

    ReplyDelete
  4. The feel of the bathroom dramatically changed everything. Really nice work.
    apartment for rent makati

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with you Nancy. Changing the tiles and the tub completely altered the bathroom's look. The roses added a more relaxed atmosphere.

    breckenridge lodging

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fixtures blend well with the rest of the room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bathroom achieves a unique look with a different tile set. Having the mirror backsplash pattern is also a nice addition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are those marble floor tiles? The natural light coming from the window and the use of a larger mirror make the room brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @garage doors perth: they are porcelain tile floors with a stunning pattern that looks far more expensive than they are! You're right; this bathroom gets phenomenal light, and who doesn't love a giant mirror to reflect light and help you see! Thanks for checking out the project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What can I say? I love the outcomes of your renovation project. So, those are porcelain tiles? That's why the brightness of the tiles really showed up. What thing that I love is its simplicity and elegance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am inspired with the results of your project. I am thinking of renovating mine too. Maybe I can use some of your ideas, is that okay?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where did you get your wall tiles? It's pretty and that's prefect for bathroom designs.
    crane hire perth

    ReplyDelete
  13. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSLoYIXK110&feature=player_embedded
    That is amazing, great work!This is really very good post about Bathroom flooring.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm pretty impressed with your new bathroom. What type of tile did you use?

    Long Island plumbers

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks cleaner and there's less clutter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing photos you got there buddy.Bathroom represents your cleanliness.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am really impressed by this blog!Very clear explanation of issues is given and it is open to everyone.It contains true and fair information. Your website is very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The post is very informative. It is a pleasure reading it. I have also bookmarked you for checking out new posts. I wanted to thank you for this special read.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your style is unique compared to other people I have read stuff from. Thank you for posting when you have the opportunity, guess I will just bookmark this page.

    tile and grout cleaning Perth

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your blog was absolutely fantastic! Great deal of great information and this can be useful some or maybe the other way. Keep updating your blog, anticipating to get more detailed contents
    tile cleaning perth  

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...