Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Putting A Bird On It

I wrote about the owl trend a while back and I mentioned a disdain for birds (I believe I actually said something like, "I have been forever grossed out by birds"), but I would like to edit that sentiment, as I now realize its not birds I hate, its those winged rats referred to as "pigeons." They are vile and likely to poop on your head at the most unfortunate of moments.

In my previous post, I touched on the fact that while I didn't particularly care for birds the creature, I did like to see birds the imagery in interior and graphic design. I also astutely noted that birds were EVERYWHERE already, so I didn't have to write a whole post on them. Whew! Glad I did, because I think it excuses me from being the butt of the trend joke, as seen in this video:

Many of you have probably come across this already, but for those who haven't, I thought it was worth sharing. PORTLANDIA is six-part IFC short-based comedy series that premiered late in January. While the sketches focus on people (and are filmed on location) in Portland, OR, the characters speak to hipsters everywhere. The above video really hits the nail on the head as far as gimmicks designers fall back on when creativity runs out. Don't get me wrong; bird illustrations have a special place in history. They are complicated to create and require tremendous skill and patience. You can't exactly put this bird on just any old thing! (Thanks to John Gable for enlightening us about this show; we are sans TV right now and are out of the loop in terms of current shows).
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Hand-colored lithograph published by The Zoological Society of London, 1848-1849
Available through Fine Rare Prints

But, it is true that the more silhouette-y versions of birds as embellishment are a little played. Today birds are the gimmick; tomorrow it will be something else.

As far as real birds go, I've come to learn that they are actually pretty great. The reasons for their greatness are many, but let's just go over my own personal favorites:
1. What with all those colors, they are pretty!
2. They eat bugs. YES! I like bugs even less than I like pigeons. This trait will come in handy when we sit outside this summer and finally plant a small garden
3. They leave cute little foot prints
4. The little ones hop around adorably

That's all for this soap box! 

2 comments:

  1. I agree the silhouette-y birds have been around a while and could use a rest. However, I do like birds images and seem to be drawn to them. Which is weird because real birds seem to hate me, I've been dive bombed more times than I care to remember. Perhaps I'm hoping to gain good will in the bird community by purchasing bird stuff? Whatever the reason, I'll risk being the butt of the bird trend joke. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, seem to have an inviting head/bag/shoulder for (real) dive bombing birds. They say its good luck, but I think that's a farce! Why are all the most annoying things good luck? I'm not fooled! I doubt you'll be the butt of the bird trend joke; used well, the trend is alive, well and beautiful! There's a reason its been around for so long.

    By the way, I agree that shoes and interiors have a VERY special place together :) Great blog name!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...