Monday, January 31, 2011

Guest Blogger: Denise Fasanello

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
For a while now I have wanted to bring in some guest bloggers – designers, artists, artisans, crafters, and all-around creative people (whether their passion is a full-time job or a hobby) to write about what makes them tick. How did they get started? Was it a straight path to doing the work they do, or was it meandering and something that came along on the second round of careers (like mine)? Have they sacrificed to stay on the creative path, or did it come easy? I am especially interested in those who started out practicing one craft, kept exploring and wound up taking on a whole new medium or added new interest(s) to the roster of old ones.

I am elated to introduce my very first guest blogger today, the unbelievably talented Denise Fasanello, a Brooklyn-based floral designer. We hired Denise to create the flowers for our 2008 wedding and she truly brought an artist's eye and perspective to floral designs, which really set the tone for the whole affair. Not surprisingly, it turned out she began her creative career as a fine artist. Her floral designs are full of graphic elements and some of the most interesting, complex combinations of plant life I have ever seen. I figured her fine art background must inform her floral work somehow, and I wanted to know how. I also wanted to know more about the path she took from fine artist to working at an architectural design firm and finally to taking on flowers full-time, since so many of us start out doing one thing, but later realize our passions lie elsewhere. It's a tough decision to stop, re-evaluate, maybe go back to school, change your life and start over again, so I love hearing about successful people who made gutsy career changes. 

In addition to running her highly sought after business and being a wife and a mom, Denise also writes her own wonderful blog, Little Pheasant, full of whimsical commentary, spot-on observations and amazing images of her work. Without further ado, Denise's guest post. Thank you, Denise! xoxo

First, I need to start out by thanking Killy for inviting me as a guest blogger. I am so very honored to be asked! I've been a fan of The Studiolo from the beginning.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Floral design by Denise Fasanello

Here's a little background on me and how I got into floral design. It may seem like long convoluted story but then that's how life works sometimes, no? Many moons ago I needed a day job to support my art making habit.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Guinnea Hen, collage by Denise Fasanello


I found one at a little flower shop in the West Village. I had no experience working with flowers nor did I have a background in horticulture. But New York being New York I knew someone who got me the gig and I was a quick learn.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Web Bouquet, collage by Denise Fasanello

At the same time I was working part time for a famous female artist I greatly admired. Both jobs offered me more hours and I found myself at a real crossroads. At the time I was pretty keen on pursuing my fine art career so I chose to work as an artist assistant. 

Years pass and I am working diligently on my artwork but in truth I am feeling fatigued by the art world. By now I'm also running the daily operations of a successful architecture/art studio.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Web Bird Green, collage on paper by Denise Fasanello

After about six years of honing my fine art and eight years managing the architectural office, I start to think about that little flower shop. I dream about starting my own business. I start to design friend's wedding flowers.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Bouquet by Denise Fasanello

I slowly build a portfolio of images. I talk A LOT about it to anyone who will listen. I read how-to books on small businesses. I seek any and all stories of people, particularly woman who change careers. I even quit the firm to work for a fancy flower shop to gain experience. I get lured back to the firm. I make money and pay off all my debt. I continue to dream. I have a baby. I build a website. I design my business cards. I take the leap. That was 3 years ago and here I am. The hardest part of forging a new path is taking the first step. So true.

How has my art training influenced my flower work? Well, in very real ways. The use of scale, shape and color all come into play when making an arrangement. For me, working with flowers is the most liberating art expression. You do not have to wait for the paint to dry, the film to develop, the glue to set. It is instant gratification. I see it as a form of ephemeral sculpture.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Bouquet by Denise Fasanello

More interestingly how has floral design influenced my art making? How beauty is represented, manipulated and defined has always been at the root of my artistic creation. But it was not until I started working with natural materials that I truly understood our obsession with beauty. I begin to manipulate flowers and photograph them.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Orchid Sleeve by Denise Fasanello


Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Thorned by Denise Fasanello

Beauty is a fleeting experience. This is the conflict we all share. Beauty fades. Flowers wilt. To me it’s a very natural and human conflict - the desire to preserve beauty and the recognition that it is a futile pursuit. We make art to preserve the fading experience of beauty. Even the conscience decision to look at the ugly in life is a reaction to the beauty that exists. I am constantly reminded of this when I work with flowers. This is my attempt when being creative regardless of material or medium.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Bouquets by Denise Fasanello

Now what will the next step will be? Sky’s the limit!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Floral design by Denise Fasanello

To view more of Denise's work, click on her website. And don't forget to check out her blog

4 comments:

  1. I love Denise, her work, her blog, the very being of her I read through her posts.

    But this was something very special. To see her collages, her beautiful bouquets and those photographs. I am swept away.

    Thank you for this interview. Now i love her even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she's terrific - a talented, kind, creative woman. I was honored to have her share her experiences. Thank you for checking out the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man! Thank you so much. I am getting choked up. xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. i enjoyed learning more about your journey, denise. your work is wonderful and the story inspiring. in many ways you really do paint with flowers!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...