Friday, January 7, 2011

Haute in Honeysuckle

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
I'm not sure how much stock I put into this "color of the year" business, but it's my self-proclaimed job to report on it, so here I am. According to Pantone's color institute, honeysuckle (a "dynamic reddish pink" that's pretty coral-ish) is 2011's color of the year, although it seems the group "forecasted" a trend that most designers were well ahead of, as various shades of pink have been everywhere for some time now. The New York Times did a Pulse piece on pink way back in March 2009 and more recently wrote about pink bathrooms, although the one they featured was pretty ho-hum. Two features in the Times tells me this isn't exactly new, but it's still a fun trend, so I'm not complaining!

I happen to love pink, but I know it's a tough sell for many. It casts a beautiful glow, making everyone look healthy, but my suspicion is that most fellas (and probably most ladies) aren't interested in living in pink full-time. As with all colors, the right hue in the right application makes all the difference. I don't doubt we'll see (even more of) an uptick in the use of pink in general this year, not solely "honeysuckle," which definitely has a feminine, even girly, bent. I think designers will boldly use all kinds of pinks in their projects. A wide range of looks can be achieved, from jazzy fuschia to serene rose-y gray.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Via SAS Interiors

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Interior design by Sarah Richardson

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Image courtesy Elle Decor

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Image via Domino

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Source unknown

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Image courtesy House Beautiful

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Image courtesy Elle Decor

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Source unknown

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Interior by Jonathan Berger for House Beautiful

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Interior design by Grant K. Gibson

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Interior design by Suzanne Kasler

Of course, the color forecast doesn't just pertain to interiors; it stretches across all realms of design–graphics, products, fashion, furniture. If I hit on all of those, this post would never end. Gotta edit. But, I couldn't resist sharing a few faves:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Letterpressed cards available at Hello Lucky

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Fashion sketches via Pantone

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Lonny's holiday issue showed some honeysuckle love, as did recent Veranda and House and Garden magazine covers


Cuisinart's Frozen Yogurt, Ice Cream and Sorbet Maker in Honeysuckle

We were right on trend with our color for The Studiolo's new identity:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

So, how do you incorporate this color trend into your home if:
1. You don't want to overhaul the whole place because next year a new color will be announced
2. You don't want to over-commit because it's a tough color to use a lot of
3. Your boyfriend/husband/girlfriend/wife/pet has an aversion to pink and isn't buying it
4. You are slightly color-phobic, but would like to indulge in this trend (or any other trend, for that matter)

My advice: Use it sparingly! Bring it into your home in small doses:
• Buy a few yards of trim tape and sew (or hot glue) to curtains, shades or lamp shades
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

• Buy some new pillow covers for your existing toss pillows or shams, or a fresh throw blanket and switch out when you're not feeling it anymore
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

• Get a new shower curtain with a splash of honeysuckle, if it works with your towels and other bathroom decor.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Shower curtain from Anthropologie

• Use it on accent upholstered pieces that are in need of a rebirth, like dining chair seats or a piano bench.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Via House Beautiful

• Paint it on furniture frames that need a little pick-me-up. It can always be painted over if you hate it or tire of it
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Via Apartment Therapy

• Stencil a pattern onto a wall using the color
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

• Buy one "statement" in a pink that speaks to you, and design the rest of the room around it in neutrals or work in a small-scale piece of furniture to your current collection for a little unexpected pizzazz
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
• For a more temporary use, buy some pink flowers!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Image courtesy Southern Accents

Last fall I painted a client's entry in Benjamin Moore's Summer Plum with much success:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Using such a deep color in a small space really packs a punch and was a super affordable way to transform this entry into a special space

I was so pleased with how that turned out, Oliver and I began to pull paint chips in various shades of pink for our next house, with a focus on fuschias. We'll be starting to paint soon, so stay tuned for our own use of pink, if we go through with it!

6 comments:

  1. Fabulous post as always! I am big BIG on coral this year, I want to see it with peach and plum. But I am OVER hot pink. Haha. You know there is a big different. Great images! I know I owe you an email. I swear it's on the way xoxxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Denise! Pink is the new black. That's what I heard :)

    Can't wait for your email! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. As predictable per me, I'm in love with the color of the year...yeah! Those hello lucky letter pressed cards had me at hello. Can't wait to see how/if you and Oliver go with some pink in the new place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought of you the whole time I was writing this post, Becky. You would love to see the paint chips we have lying around right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Killy- I followed you over here from Houzz- welcome to Austin and nice blog...I'll be back.
    The second photo that is currently sourced as unknown is Sarah Richardson's work.
    And, I'm with your friend, Denise, I'm craving coral lately. CyndiK

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Cyndi! I appreciate the credit for Sarah Richardson - I'll edit the post. I agree; coral is lovely! Are you an Austinite?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...