Monday, January 3, 2011

Antiquing in East Texas

We always make a point of hitting up any and all antique shops wherever we go (I'm so lucky to have snagged a guy who not only doesn't mind poking around these shops, but actually enjoys it!) Sometimes the stores are less antique-y and more junk-y, but I love going anyway – you never know what treasure you might uncover. In addition to the fun Train Depot, Mineola is home to Uniques & Antiques, one of my favorite antique shops of all time. Owned by Melissa Walker, the large store isn't overwhelming because it is well styled and organized. There are so many treasures to be found, all at great prices.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I cannot get enough of beautiful cut glass decanters:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

And I'm in the market for a old world bar cart to coordinate:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

After drinking and driving the bar cart around, one might set something aflame. No worries: antique fire extinguisher to the rescue!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Clean up any and all spills with these great "Mr." and "Mrs." tea towels:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

There are endless fantastic designs of salt and pepper shakers, but, really, how many does one family need? These are fun...not necessary...but fun:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

You know we take our spice organization very seriously. This set would work well with our new 1950's-style kitchen:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

These containers would also look great on our new countertop, now that we have a little space. Not to worry, I resisted. I'm not buying anything until we've actually moved in and know what we need, but a girl can dream!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Remember my owl trend alert? I love the texture on these guys, and their feet!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Uniques & Antiques is located at 124 S. Line Street in Mineola, TX 903-569-1133

My other favorite antique shop is Tyler Square Antiques in nearby Tyler, TX. This place is even more of an emporium, as it is located downtown in a beautiful old building that used to house a Sears department store. Signage from the location's past life remains.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

The wares in this enormous three-level emporium are in impeccable condition, especially the wood furniture from China, England and France.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

There is a ton to look at from accessories to art to jewelry to books...and a little taxidermy:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

The graphic quality of this teacup is unmatched!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Hide AND horns wrapped up into one tiny footstool:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Oliver loved the lettering on this stunning sewing machines, which was all threaded and ready to go!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I think we've found our next coat hook:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I want this at our front door:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

This cabinet from 1845 drew me in for a closer look at the hand-perforated metal detailing:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Tyler Square Antiques is located at 117 South Broadway in Tyler, TX 903-593-6888

4 comments:

  1. Hi, again~ yes! I'm an Austinite....and hail from east Texas...so, curious what took you thrifting that way? Usually when I head that way from Austin, by the time I get to Tyler my car is full from other thrift stops....but, I'll leave room for these stops next time! Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again! We have been staying with my husband's family in East Texas while waiting to move into our place in Austin. Mineola and Tyler are nearby, and I've always loved checking out the new wares whenever we visit. I've seen a bunch of places I'd like to stop on our way to and from East Texas and Austin, but we've always been in a big rush, so we haven't had time to explore yet. One of these days, we will drive leisurely and I'll get a post or two out of it (and hopefully some great finds)! I'd love to know where you stop, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time I go, I'll make notes of where to stop if you take Hwy. 31 and send them via email...and there are a couple of interesting stops in Longview that I'll pass along too. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blogs and I’m impressed! Very helpful information specially the remaining part I care for such information much. I was looking for this particular info for a long time. Thanks and best of luck.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...