Monday, January 17, 2011

Paint Palette Challenges and Triumphs

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Image courtesy Veer

The mister and I have a full week ahead – we're painting our new house and moving in! If my posts get a little thin it's because we're busily edging, rolling and scrubbing drips off the floor (no doubt my fault). Oliver's parental units are going to help with the painting, so things should go very quickly and smoothly, as they are professionals.

It took a little more time for us to figure out a paint palette than we expected. I prefer to pull together a scheme with the parts and pieces – with upholstery, wall colors, bedding, furniture, accessories, etc. in one place, laid out so I can see it all and be certain it all makes sense together. Most of our belongings are in storage, so we don't have easy access to our things, which made drumming up a design scheme challenging. Because we've been a bit out of our element, we started choosing colors somewhat arbitrarily. We both had it in our heads that we wanted to use some kind of fuchsia somewhere in the house, but we we had trouble nailing down a palette based solely on our semi-random desire to incorporate a pink. We came up with a few decent options, but it just wasn't gelling.

I don't make solid choices arbitrarily; I like to have a reason for doing things, so I needed to take a step back and figure out what overall feeling I want to achieve with our paint palette was. I found the bouquet image, below, way back when we were planning our wedding and I was looking for color inspiration. For the wedding, we went for bold reds with classic black and white accents tempered by soft champagnes and pewter greys, so I didn't use the bouquet image, but I've hung onto it because I knew it would come in handy at some point.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Image via This Is Glamorous

The overall look is somewhat dark and moody, with the charcoaly-blue urn and deep purples, but the yellow, pink-ish and white highlights combined with that amazing leafy green softens it all up.

In scouring my inspiration file, I came across the image, below, that I think creates a successful interior based on the colors in the bouquet above in a bright, cheerful way.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Source unknown

The blue-grey walls and sofa pick up the light hitting the urn while the shiny black lampshade gives a nod to it's darkness. The rug references the varied purples and pinks of the flowers, the wood furniture and bamboo window coverings bring in the neutrals sprinkled throughout, while the yellow cushion on the stool, fluffy sheepskin throw blanket and the paper shade of the floor lamp pull in the bright yellows and whites found among the flowers. The green house plant obviously speaks to the leaves in the bouquet while the pattern on the toss pillow subtly pull in the patten and detail on the base of the urn.

Now that we have a sold jumping off point, we can get to work! We will certainly document the process, and since Oliver's parents are on board, I know we'll pick up some great painting tips that we'll happily share. Sadly, we don't have big bro Josh with us for this project, but maybe we can put him to work when he visits (kidding!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...