Monday, May 17, 2010

Trend Watch: Owls

I have forever been grossed out by birds. Blame it on my childhood in New York City, where I was surrounded by pigeons, which are filthy, vile creatures. Blame it on my dad, who also hates birds and probably passed on the birds-are-nasty-gene to me. Blame it on birds themselves, for pooping on command, whether in flight, or sitting on a wire or tree, for making the most disturbing sound when their wings flap, for flying too close and terrifying me, for making bizarre noises as they sit on the window sill (I'm talking about pigeons here). Whatever it is, birds freak me out.

However, for reasons I absolutely cannot explain, I LOVE birds in interior and graphic design (when the design is well-executed, of course). I love whimsical bird wallpaper, toss pillows adorned with peckish little birds, pretty bird stationary, vintage bird illustrations. I even like birdcages (with or without birds inside) as interior accessories. Go figure!
Clockwise, from left:
Peacock bedding Dwell Studio
Sparrow card from John Derian
Bird leg table from White on White
Birdcage and decor vis Elle Decoration
Chinoiserie toss pillows from Dwell Studio
Birdcage hand stamps via Etsy.com
Bird bottle stopper and sculpture from Jonathan Adler

Birds have been stamped all over the design world for a while now, so I don't have to introduce you to that idea. But, lately I've seen nocturnal and mysterious bird counterpart, the OWL, popping up here and there, which, oddly, I find really fun, not horrifying, for some inexplicable reason. Maybe it's because they are great rodent exterminators, although, they often get sick from eating rats. Hello, who wouldn't?? Whooo Whooo.....PUN

Owl necklace, studs and ring by Julia Failey

Owl sacks as bookends and journal covers from Etsy

Macrame owl from Urban Outfitters

Owl pillow by Donna Wilson

Abstract Hoot pillow from Chiasso

Owl soaps by Modern Poverty

I totally want this umbrella stand from Two's Company via Madison Ave Gifts

Here it is, in situ. Interiors by Jonathan Adler:

This adorable owl clock from Magpie Lovely screams, "Please take me home!"

English designers roddy&ginger obviously love owls, too, since they're all over their website. Their owl logo is fantastic!

Bordering on weird, but still fun owl lamp from Shades of Light

How can you not love these Wise Owl Cookie Jars from Anthropolgie?

Look closely so you don't miss that very fawncy, quite propah owl in the center

Illustrated tray from John Derian

Fabric print from South Land Topology–talk about a fun curtain fabric for a kid's room. Or a whimsical upholstered chair

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...