Friday, May 7, 2010

Head Over Heels for Headboards

Via Apartment Therapy
We really need a headboard. I've never actually had a bed with a headboard, and I never thought I needed one until recently. I used to do more work with architecture firms, which often adhere to the the less-is-more mantra, but for the last year, I've been fully immersed in the world of decorating, which is all about creative uses and combinations of texture, pattern and color. I realize how much a headboard adds to a bedroom by giving it dimension, interest, scale, a focal point, what-have-you. We have a small bedroom and the way things are arranged, we don't have space for a true headboard, which adds a minimum of three inches to a bed (that's right, we do not have three inches to spare)! One of the projects on my long list of Things To Do For The Apartment is "make a headboard" and we have to create one with as little depth as possible. In a previous apartment, I bought a fun fabric and a bunch of cheap, mis-matched picture frames to create an affordable point of interest above the bed, but this time around, I'm exploring two different options:

Option A
• purchase a piece of pre-cut plywood
• cover it in foam and batting
• staple gun rockin' fabric on top
• attach to wall behind bed

Option B
• purchase a piece of industrial felt
• attach to wall as-is for industrial-chic look OR
• drape and pin fabric over it for a somewhat upholstered, but temporary (and potentially changeable) design

Because we live in smalls-ville, and we are on a tight decorating budget (as in, Killy, try not to spend any money on decorating, ok?), I'm not going to have the headboard cut into a fun, whimsical silhouette. But, here are some images showing fantastic, dramatic headboards, from high-end fancies to DIY masters. Enjoy!

Clearly, I'm a sucker for nailheads....


Great detail of the headboard above:


Images courtesy Traditional Home

Love the re-use of a wood door:




Mantel-as-headboard

I love how the yellow in the bathroom carries into the bedroom through the headboard

Yay for an elegant kid's room!

I'm always a little mixed about putting a bed right in front of a window, but this was done well

Via Domino

A fantastic idea: embroider a simple headboard (like this one from Horchow) to make it one-of-a-kind!

Talk about whimsical...

Framed wallpaper is a great alternative to upholstery

Patent leather = FIERCE
Photography by Paul Costello for Instyle

Some Trompe l'oeil stenciling:


Via House Beautiful

Via Domino

I know, not a headboard, but it's one of my favorite images EVER by the unstoppable Miles Redd

Ok, also not a headboard, but it could be! It's actually a banquette in a restaurant, and it's FABULOUS
Banquette at Sweetiepie

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...