Tuesday, March 8, 2011

DVF in Your Home and Your Closet

I gave a lot of presentations in graduate school as part of my coursework; we worked on projects for two to four weeks, and were required to present them for final critique in front of peers, professors and guest critics (usually professionals in the design field). I learned early on that how well you presented your work was half the battle; a poor design could often be (somewhat) masked by a dazzling presentation, which wasn't necessarily fair, but it was the truth. I watched outstanding designs go completely unnoticed because the presenter muttered and had tattered posters and models while nonsensical designs were lauded because the presentations were slick and the student, adept at public speaking, sold the half-baked idea with fervor. Many of us took it a step further and actually dressed the part. That's right; my outfits almost always coordinated with the work I was presenting. No matter that I hadn't slept in two weeks or that my last meal took place a few days back or that I had forgotten what a shower felt like, I made time to pull together an outfit that reflected the colors and materials in my interior design projects. Thus the beginning of my interest in exploring how all forms of design are related.

True to form, I always see a link between runway and interiors fashions, so when I heard Diane Von Furstenburg recently launched a collection of bedding and tabletop designs for the home, I was eager to see what she showed at the just-wrapped New York Fashion Week. I figured there would be some overlap, especially because she took inspiration from her own iconic apparel prints. I've put together some comparisons to illustrate how Ms. Von Furstenburg's personal style, brand, favorite colors and fashion inclinations are reflected in her bedding and tabletop designs.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Bedding and tabletop products are available at Bloomingdale's and DVF.com
All fashion photos courtesy Vogue.com, and Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Runway Photos

Coincidently, I recently completed an assignment to write about 1970s wrap dresses, which Ms. Von Furstenburg is credited for inventing – she didn't exactly, but she certainly pushed the design into the mainstream (twice!) and women's fashion has been thanking her ever since! Read the full article here! A sneak peak:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...