Monday, November 1, 2010

Flowers and Cookies

Two of my favorite words. My mother claims the first word I uttered as a child was "cookie." I think she's yanking my chain, but what are you gonna do? I can't exactly prove her wrong.

With our big move rapidly approaching, we really need to hunker down and pack. This past weekend was mostly consumed with rounding up boxes and starting to fill them. Pretty boring. But, there were two highlights:

1. FLOWERS
I wasn't completely pleased with the photos I took of our hallway and I want to re-shoot it before we have to dismantle it. On Friday afternoon I picked up a bunch of flowers from a bodega in the West Village and brought them home to dress up the hall a bit for a mini photoshoot. It is fairly common knowledge that I am not an expert flower arranger (taking a floral arrangement class is at the top of my list of things to do) but I threw together a pretty inspired bouquet on Friday afternoon and couldn't help but share it with you all.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Now, I'm no Denise Fasanello, but I'm proud of this creation – my first with some depth and a variety of textures with a monochromatic palette.  The spiky little bursts of flowers are thistle and the sprigs of green are safari sunset. Sadly, I don't know what the white baby's breathe-like sprouts are. They have shots of purple and green among the white, which makes them a little special. Additionally, I added stalks of green leaves.

2. COOKIES
Due to the packing, we didn't do much to celebrate Halloween this year, but, to our surprise, we were the recipients of a spooky cookie delivery on Friday:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Hello, lovelies!

The ginger cookies above are the creations of an extremely talented (and thoughtful) friend who lives in LA with her husband, a former work buddy of Oliver's, and their pitifully unfortunate-looking child:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photo courtesy Ben Lau
Shame, isn't it, that he's so homely? He's also devoid of personality, which is the saddest part.*

Here's a glimpse of the full batch:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photo courtesy Ben Lau

DELICIOUS.
Thank you, Ben, Giao and Baron!

*Note: I am being completely sarcastic here. Baron is quite obviously an adorable, charming toddler with a vivid personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...