Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Foxy Salon, Brooklyn NY

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
When we moved to New York in 2005 it didn't take long to find a hair salon I loved. I went there for five years, and while I thought the stylists were great, I went through a lot of them because each one lasted up to two years before they disappeared (and most didn't make it to two). I always wondered why no one stuck around longer, but since I never had a bad haircut, (it didn't seem to matter who cut my hair) I didn't lament it too much. A little more than a year ago I started seeing Ria, a phenomenal stylist. We chatted, she cut, I sat, etc... Even Oliver started to see Ria, after years of self-grooming in the tub! One day last summer, we called to make an appointment and we were informed that Ria was gone. GONE? What the–? How the–? Gone. Despair ensued, but we made appointments with other people at the salon, because, like I said, I'd never had a bad haircut there. Well, Oliver scored Tana, who did a great job on his hair, while I got stuck with a psudeo-hipster newbie with enough hubris to fill a room. He was happy, I was disappointed and out too much cash. 

A few days after the cuts, Oliver and I were letterpressing Suzanne's business cards (he pressed; I photographed) and I decided to take a break and check out a nearby vintage furniture shop. Would you believe that I ran into Ria? I damn near mowed her down with excitement. We talked about my too-short, not-so-hot haircut and where the eff she disappeared to. As it turned out, Ria was in the process of opening her own salon and was planning to send out an email about it to her clients as soon as it was ready. Shortly thereafter, we got the email that Foxy was open for business and we soon made ourselves appointments, me with Ria; Oliver with Tana. THANK THE LORDY.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Yesterday was the big day, and let me tell you, these ladies did not disappoint. Ria has opened an adorable spot on Graham Avenue in Brooklyn. I highly recommend a visit, but you don't have to take my word for it. Check out the write up in Time Out New York! (There might be a New York Magazine write-up in the future, too, so look out!)
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
That's Ria, at the front desk. Note the cute fox illustration on the glass!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Tana at the front desk

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
The salon is decorated with vintage mirrors, an eclectic mix of reclaimed furniture and sconces, and a forest-y backdrop. Details like framed illustrations, photos, potted plants and terrariums make it all home-y and warm, especially on a soggy, rainy day like yesterday (and today). 
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I am pumped, post-cut!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Sadly, we won't be back to the salon for a while, although I plan to go when we visit NYC) but I highly recommend Foxy to all New Yorkers looking for a great cut from ladies with a heavy list of credentials, outstanding personalities and extremely reasonable prices. This isn't a salon just for women; tons of men get their wigs split at Foxy, too, so don't be shy, fare male readers!

Foxy is located at 331 Graham Avenue, just off the L Graham stop in Williamsburg

1 comment:

  1. Coincidently, I just got my hair done today, but in Bellows Falls, VT. No matter the location, a great stylist is to be cherished! There are few things in life that beat a great hair day!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...