Monday, December 28, 2009

Color Me Inspired: Purple and Yellow

Purple was never a favorite of mine until somewhat recently. I started to notice it in mid-2008 during my quest for bridesmaid dresses that didn't look bridesmaid-y. Deep plum kept showing up and tempting me, but I was hell-bent on dark grey, so I had to forge on. (My girls and I searched high and low for dark grey dresses. Of course, AFTER our wedding, they became the color du jour and were suddenly easy to find. My timing is impeccable...) Later in 2008, I made my first purple purchase since I was six: a deliciously plum leather wallet. And then I couldn't stop! I found myself seeking out plums, purple, and deep raspberries in my clothing, as well. I am fully aware that the color-projector-powers-that-be had a lot to do with this sudden desire, as purple was deemed 2008 Fall Fashion Week's IT color:

Photo courtesy Omiru.com

We on the streets are a bit behind the fashionistas, but purple continued it reign on the 2009 runways, and we're really seeing it everywhere now, as it's been injected into all facets of design–even nail colors:
OPI Linkin Park After Dark (such a fun color!)

All this new-found interest in purple is just part of the cycle–– we certainly didn't just discover it in 2008! Associated with royalty, opulence and dignity, purple is quite versatile. Depending on how much blue or red is added, it can be bright and bold, masculine or feminine, soft and muted or nearly neutral and grey. While it pairs beautifully with so many different colors, today I've decided to focus on it's polar opposite, or, in color theory terms, it's complement: yellow.

The two can make a striking statement, but, as the saying goes, there's nothing new under the sun, and as with most color combinations, nature found it first:


Photo courtesy Derek Ramsey

Fine art followed:
Bonnard's View of the River (1923)

Matisse's Purple Robe and Anemone (1937)

The pairing has certainly hit both "high" fashion:
Photo courtesy jewelry.com

...and "low" fashion:
Photo courtesy Polyvore.com

...jewelry:
Kate Spade Damask Ring

...graphics:
Homies Bike by Enormous Champion via Etsy

...and, of course, interiors:
The boldness of the purple wall offset by the lush gold sofa is spectacular.
Photo courtesy Gaita Interiors

This lavender and mustard combination is so fresh!
Photo Courtesy DecorPad

I love this soft mauve and chartreuse pairing.
Photo courtesy Apartment Therapy

Rich greens and browns balance the striking purple sofas and yellow curtains.
Photo courtesy Homes and Gardens

Another subtle use of the complementary colors for a calming but not at all boring entry.
Photo courtesy Apartment Therapy

I always love a well-styled tablescape:

Photos courtesy Rebecca Thuss


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...