Monday, October 18, 2010

Sunday in the Park with Mom & LexLuxe

Yesterday was GORGEOUS. Of course, I didn't have the good camera with me (just the little guy I carry around to photograph construction progress at jobsites), but it was one of those sunny, warm fall days that has a hint of crispness. After a delicious breakfast with Oliver, I met my mom at Columbus Circle for a little wandering around in Central Park. We listened to some music, watched an acrobatic guy flip down an aisle of people for about half a mile and eventually made our way up to 81st and Columbus Avenue, where we happened on a little outdoor art fair. There were a ton of great vendors, but my favorite was LexLuxe, classic modern jewelry designed and hand-crafted by Alexis Russell, who was on-hand selling her wares.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

The pieces were displayed thoughtfully in simple cases that made looking, touching and trying on very easy, and the varied designs back up Alexis' keen eye for merchandising. My pictures of the booth don't even kind of do it justice (wrong light; wrong camera), but Alexis' branding is great, too. Note the banners hanging at the bottom of the jewelry cases:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
It was a little dark for photos, but Alexis' work speaks for itself. 

I loved the use of sand and slate tiles to display different pieces. Layering natural elements on the wood and metal cases simultaneously warmed up and beautifully offset the golds, silvers and gemstones:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
I was immediately drawn into the booth by these woven metal earrings:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photo courtesy Alexis Russell Design 

Then I was quickly distracted by a few pieces involving rough stones and light, airy hammered gold hoops:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I ultimately settled on this lovely branch necklace with a chocolate diamond, an impromptu gift from my generous mom (I love it - thank you!!):
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

More of Alexis' unique pieces are viewable on her website. Two of my favorites:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photos courtesy Alexis Russell Design

Alexis, who is based in Buffalo, NY, sells her lovely pieces at the various gift fairs around New York, but if you're not in the New York area, you can find her work at several shops throughout the country as well as on etsy. Alexis will also work with individuals to create custom pieces. Contact her to get the process started. I look forward to seeing more work from this talented (and super nice) designer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...